Certification FCC (United States) e ISED (Canada)
To be imported and marketed in the United States, radio frequency (RF) devices must obtain authorization by following the procedures required by Federal Communications Commission (FCC). For Canada these products are regulated by Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED).
Sicom Testing offers a complete testing and certification service for those who want to market their products in the United States and in Canada, also cooperating with accredited partner laboratories and certifying bodies.
For the United States, following the procedures Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity or Certification, the laboratory can support customers in practices and in testing indicated by federal regulations relating to electronic, radio and telecommunications equipment.
For Canada, Sicom Testing provides ISED testing and certification services in accordance with the standards of Innovation, Science and Economic Development For example ICES-003, RSS-102 and others. The certification ISED Canada replaced the Industry Canada (IC)
Radio frequency devices are all those that use frequency signals above 9kHz for their operation, such as radio transmitting or receiving products, computers, products connected to computers and most current electronic devices.
Sicom Testing it can also provide the local representation service, required for placing products on the markets of the United States and Canada.
Procedure for obtaining product authorization
To obtain product authorization the steps to follow are:
- determine the FCC rules applicable to the product
- determine which authorization procedure must be followed based on the type of product
- perform compliance tests at a testing laboratory
- produce labels with the information required by FCC rules
- include compliance information in the user manual
in some cases, the involvement of a certifying body (TCB) is required to obtain the required authorization
- maintain compliance information and records
For importation into the United States, radio frequency devices must meet one of the following conditions:
- have the necessary FCC authorization
- not be subject to FCC authorization
- be imported in limited quantities only for evaluation and not for sale
- be imported in limited quantities only for an event at a trade fair and not for sale
- cross the United States to other countries
- be reserved solely for the United States Government
- be imported for repair and not for sale
- be a medical device implanted in the bearer
- consist of no more than three computers or radio receivers for personal use and not for sale
- consist of no more than three radio sets for personal use and not for sale
Products blocked in customs
If the product is held up in customs because FCC procedures have not been followed, the product cannot be imported into the United States. The solutions are:
- return the product to the sender
- place it in an isolated warehouse or in the area duty free waiting to complete the paperwork to obtain the appropriate FCC authorization.